This is how the Arizona run will work -
There will be a pre-staked Hero Marker every mile covering 145+. We run for more heroes than miles so many markers may have multiple names. The marker will have a date and time that the runners will approximately arrive. The timing is very specific and will be listed at 10 minute intervals. A small core team of athletes running 8-9 minute miles will arrive at the designated time (or as close as possible). When runners arrive at the hero marker they will be carrying three flags as well as the hero's information. American, State of Arizona and Honor and Remember Flags. They will hand those flags to any three people waiting at the marker (veterans, or supporters, not necessarily family). They will then read the name of the hero, branch of service and date of death. Then place the Flags in the ground along side the marker, step back, come to attention and salute. (or kneel and say a few words in reverence). Runners will take turns carrying and placing the flags. After salute the runners will pay respects to waiting immediate family members if present with a hug. Retrieve flags from those holding and then begin next mile. This will be accomplished in 90 seconds or less. There will be no hesitation, other families are waiting ahead. Each mile is specifically accounted for,10 minutes apart. Families can fellowship before and after runners arrive at that mile. CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS OF AZ 2013 RUN.
1. Runners approach Hero Marker
2. Hand 4 flags over to waiting people if available. (otherwise hold)
3. Flags held at attention by people at marker
4. Runners read hero information place in ground.
5. Runners salute the hero and family. (pay respects)
6. New plaquard and flag sets is handed to a runner for the next mile.
7. Runners retrieve 4 flags and turn in a military manner and move to next.